Saturday, November 6, 2010

Do You Dumpster Dive for Shipping Supplies?




I was listening to a podcast today for ebay sellers and I had to laugh because my answer is yes! Apparently I am not the only one. I admit I've been to the dumpsters in back of some local businesses searching for a box big enough to ship something. Generally I'm well prepared for everyday shipments but every once in a while I have to go on a box hunt. I don't need big boxes often enough to buy them in bulk. I have no room to store them. I know where I can buy them and I might have to pay up to $10 just for the box from a local mailbox store. So it's worth it for me to check the recycle bins for a green, recycled box.
Here a couple tips if you are up to the task:
1)Dress appropriately.
2)Don't wear your cashmere sweater but wear gloves.
3)Ask permission from the shop owners.
4)Work in the day light.
5)Have your tape measure handy.
6)Bring a little step stool.

It's a nice idea to set up an agreement with retailers who discard the type of boxes and packaging you need. For example, I happen to know what time of day the local Pier One store unpacks their boxes. If I time it just right I can avoid making contact with the dumpster completely. That's cleaner and greener!

0 comments: